On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 8:52 AM, Andy Townsend <ajt1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 21/06/2016 10:12, joost schouppe wrote:
>
> Some ideas:
>
> - maps.me should probably stick to simple-to-map objects when it adds
> data. Complicated stuff should go in a note.
>

> - if the maps.me data is old, any added object should be a note by default
>

> We get "notes by default" from other apps that use old data (e.g. Navmii)
> and in that case it's just as annoying to deal with - actually more so in
> that case as the notes are anonymous.

This is my frustration with Mapdust (and why I ultimately just Gave Up on
that system) and with notes from Craigslist.  I do see (by cursory glance)
that maps.me expects a user to have a OSM account.  This is good.  I'm not
sure if signing in with some other sign in method causes you to use one of
maps.me's accounts for nodes created, but if so, perhaps this user should
also be the one posting notes, so if responses to to the note happens, the
originating user is notified and can respond.

> - maybe we should have a manual review system in place for ALL maps.me
> changesets, until someone marks the account as "experienced"
>

> That's pretty much what's happening already (just not with MAPS.ME users
> only).  In many places around the world new mappers are either explicitly
> welcomed or helped along through their first few edits.  There's even been
> a recent help question about using whodidit for the purpose:
>

> https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/50331/how-to-search-for-go-map-editor-in-whodidit

Don't feel bad about being part of the welcome wagon.  Oklahoma's slowly
getting some traction beyond just me actively editing.  Which is great
compared to when I came back from stranded in Oregon and there was a bit of
a "dead mall" feel to the way it was basically untouched in Tulsa (and
especially the rest of the state) while I was away.  I think notes helped,
since usually my first indication of someone else working someplace I've
been is I get a notification that someone's worked one of my notes.
Floating observations faster than you can realistically map them isn't
necessarily a bad thing...as of right now hdyc has me at 6867 Opened, 335
Commented, 5573 Closed, using notes to help mark rapidly changing areas
that need a ground survey or my own ground observations.  And yes, headway
is being made on that biblical open:closed ratio now that I'm not on the
road all day, every day, in a mostly TIGER area (being not on the road
enough to actually want to think about roads helps).