John,

On 08/18/2016 10:01 PM, John F. Eldredge wrote:
> I know I am replying to a two-month-old message, but the idea of
> restrictions on entering postal codes is baffling.  At least in the USA,
> the Post Office encourages the use of postal codes (called Zip codes) on
> mail,

Most people would think exactly like you do, and would also assume that
of course it can only only be in the best interest of the post office if
post codes are made available as widely as possible. However, and that's
what I was half-jokingly referring to, Canada Post actually tried to
shut down a crowd-sourced project that would record postal codes, and
only very recently gave up on that. The story is here:
http://www.michaelgeist.ca/2016/06/crowdsourcedpostalcodelawsuit/

Bye
Frederik