Unfortunately there is a lot of GIS work done with postcodes.  Where is the
best place to put a new coffee shop?  Which areas have the most break-ins?
Etc.

Thus being able to sell postcodes has become a source of income for post
offices and since it cost them money to create them they'd like to recover
that and a bit more as well.

Canada Post will let you look up a postcode but I seem to recall a
disclaimer saying it is Canada Post's copyright or some such.

So yes they want you to use them for mail but for any other purpose they'd
like some money please.

Cheerio John