More Problems

1) Source

 .. the source tags can be in the relation and not the way ...
Change the way to the new source and yet the other relations all say it is some
other source.

My conclusion is that the source should be on the way.

2)

Are the other relations, that refer to this way, that are being changed by the
new source ok with this change?

3)

You are going to have to compare each new outline with the old outlines ..
Where they are the same (or within, say, 3 metres) then leave the old way there
and mark it checked=new source + date

(the 3 metres comes from the JOSM simplify way set to a default of 3 metres,
I'd use the same level of accuracy here)

4)
Where the boundary lies along a waterway for some distance .. I would tend not
to join them.
The water course can change over time, the boundary is usually set not to
follow changes in the water course.