On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 12:53 PM, Maarten Deen <md...@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On 2018-02-18 19:28, Tom Hughes wrote:
>
>> On 18/02/18 18:04, Paul Johnson wrote:
>>
>>   OK, so what can we do about this problem?  For example, go to Jenks,
>>> Oklahoma.  Search for Walmart.  First result isn't the Walmart Neighborhood
>>> Market across the street from the Riverside Market shopping center.  It's
>>> not even the Walmart Supercenter across from Oral Roberts University.  Or
>>> even the Walmart Neighborhood Market further from downtown Jenks, but still
>>> in Jenks, over by Haddington Heights.  The results instead are in Sunset
>>> Harbor, Florida; Saint Louis, Missouri; Tallahassee, Florida, El Paso,
>>> Texas; and Fairbanks, Alaska.
>>>
>>> I get that if you get specific and actually type "Walmart jenks" in, you
>>> get the one in Haddington Heights, and then the one in Glenpool, Oklahoma
>>> (slightly odd for that one, but not entirely unreasonable).  But this isn't
>>> what most people are going to do.  I also get that the homepage isn't
>>> /meant/ to be used as the product itself, just a demonstration, but we
>>> really should be putting our best foot forward there.
>>>

>> I can't comment about how the algorithm works because I don't know
>> anything about it. I'm just saying that we do tell it the viewbox
>>

> It appears to me that the bounding box is used when searching places
> (towns, cities) or streets, but not when searching objects like shops or
> restaurants.
> For instance, searching for a McDonald's always gives me the McDonald's at
> 1351, George Dieter Drive, El Paso City, El Paso County, Texas, 79936,
> Verenigde Staten van Amerika

 Keen ask.  I think a *lot* of the complaints regarding Nominatim that have
come up could be fixed by using the bounding box context for all items.  I
may have incorrectly opened an Osmand bug
<https://github.com/osmandapp/Osmand/issues/5036> on the assumption
Nominatim was consistently using the geocontext for all results.