I get the feeling that we could collect some baseline data for these types of surveys.

I'm thinking of tools used to add data.  Streetcomplete, JOSM, iD, potlatch, the reason is the "Skill" level needed to use the tool.  ie since x% of edits are made by streetcomplete you may not need a PhD in cartography to add to the project.

I don't know if we record the Internet address of contributors and I wouldn't like to see the full address being made available but a country code might be useful.

Also the average life of a contributor.  I think we see some who contribute once to six times then disappear and that means they aren't available to survey.

Making this information available would hopefully at least mean more relevant questions.

Ideally we could run our own three/six monthly survey to collect baseline data but setting it up and getting a representative sample is hard work.

Cheerio John