Some imports are good, some are bad. We have ways to asses them with
guidelines. There are tools to help the technical process. Maybe there’s more
possibilities with rapid on tooling, maybe not. Seems pretty simple.
This whole thread is blown out of proportion, and rehashing old theoretical
debates about imports that are more or less resolved in practice.

Mikel

On Thursday, March 19, 2020, 2:44 PM, Tobias Knerr <o...@tobias-knerr.de> wrote:

On 19.03.20 17:54, Jóhannes Birgir Jensson wrote:
> So - why are authoritative data sets an unwelcome addition?

At its core, OSM is a platform for collaboratively editing geodata. So
the following would be strong reasons not to import a dataset:

- other mappers should not edit it (because the dataset is the official
source and changing it would just make it wrong)
- other mappers cannot meaningfully edit it (because we cannot see the
object in the real world and don't have access to useful sources).

The way you describe it, collaborative editing doesn't seem to be a net
benefit to your scenario, and in fact makes it harder to sync updates
with the authoritative source.

So as a thought experiment: Why not just convert your dataset to the OSM
format to make it compatible with the OSM ecosystem, but skip the import
into the main OSM database?

In practice, I guess part of the answer for that is discoverability: Who
wants to hunt down datasets scattered across various servers and
portals? So it's tempting to put it all into a single big database. And
I guess that's ok as long as it doesn't get in the way of the main
purpose of that database too much – which is collaborative editing, not
data distribution. But surely, with a decent implementation of
compatible data layers tracked in some central repository, authoritative
data could be used *with* OSM without being *in* OSM.

Tobias