I find this view quite surprising coming from a software engineer.
I know no major open source license that requires attribution *in the UI
that the user sees without clicking on anything*.
Every example of open source license attribution I have seen is after
several clicks, e.g. Menu->About->Legal Notices->Software
When asked if OSM attribution is the same as open source attribution, my
answer has always been "no, OSM attribution is much stricter."
-Kathleen