While I have travelled widely, I call California home (and have for several
decades) so I unapologetically have a parochial perspective from the USA.
Clifford, I deeply respect you, Frederik and many others in OSM:  it is a
global project about all of Earth (and its humanity, among other things).  I
agree with you about being exhausted at relentlessly hearing a shadowy US
president repeatedly lie and bluster his way through the most embarrassing
period of “leadership" in our country’s history.  We (indeed, all of humanity)
will eventually heal from these wounds.

However, sometimes, as when we have abusive, naked aggression inside of
(sometimes at the very top of!) institutions, we must call out such atrocious
behavior.  We call it out to say “we will not stand for this.”  Sometimes,
colorful language is used to draw attention to this.  Sometimes, because people
either are not fully aware of this in their experience, wish to turn away from
looking at evil, or because they are part of those who "say nothing about bad
men” (in the sense of John Stuart Mill’s quote, while "good men...look on and
do nothing") the very nature of nasty, disingenuous people who mislead, lie,
deceive, do not recuse, demand unwarranted loyalty, refuse to play by the
rules, “stack the (court, Board)," slander… must be so vividly brought to light
that strong and colorful language IS required.

I understand why Frederik used strong language.  It is (usually) not pleasant
to countenance what either is or looks like underhandedness, attempts to
mislead or disingenuous behavior.  Yet among friends, families, groups,
institutions, companies, societies, facing any ugliness which might rise from
within is a necessary chore.  Figuratively put a clothespin on your noise at
the whiff of stink if you must, but let us not censor as “completely
inappropriate” what are topics of critical importance to the present and future
of OSM as we discuss the supremely important topic(s) of conflict of interest
(among others).  These are “front burner” issues and we must not shy away from
candid discussion about them.  If strong and colorful language must be used
(and indeed, sometimes it must), let us remain respectful, not make personal
attacks and offer our very best to keep (national, parochial, partisan…)
politics out of it, remaining as objective as possible.

These are difficult times.  Let us retain good senses of our humanity, lest we
devolve from even being human.  OSM has what it takes to make good decisions.
Every day, today included, we put that to the test.

SteveA