T> However, it is more a workaround than the fix of the problem.

My suggestion was not specific to your problem. Servers and connections
can be slow, unresponsive or unavailable at any time and this is not
under The Bat's control. Pre-rendering would be the best solution to
address that; it would allow the user to read the message right away.

I'm not sure how feasible it would be to implement though, because not
all dimensions of the images may be known until the images (or their
headers) have been downloaded.

As to your problem, delays like this can also be caused or triggered by
firewall and antivirus software.

'Using TBBETA' information: