vv> hi Tony,
vv> Sunday, August 13, 2006, 9:48:24 PM, you wrote:

>> The only thing that has changed since last month is I have changed
>> from a single core Athlon x64 to a dual core x64. The PC is running
>> fine in all other respects.

>> Anyone any ideas?

vv> dualCPUing your comp, AFAIR, needs an OS reinstall, as it requires
vv> a  different kernel. it's possible, though, that choosing "repair"
vv> at install time will suffice.

Not  it  doesn't.  You  can  update  the  kernel. I did that procedure
already.

vv> otherwise it can lead to serious data disaster on the disk volumes
vv> in the long run.

No problem so far, and I'm running a dual core for about 6 months on a
3 years old XP installation.

vv> it  would  have  been  better  if  you'd asked MSFT *prior* to the
vv> upgrade.

I've read here about some problems with the backup procedure with beta
12 or 13, if I recall correctly. Could this be related with it?

vv> there  are  chances,  though  very  little, that the installer has
vv> *already*  installed the correct kernel, as the possibility to add
vv> a  second  CPU *may* (though not in all cases) be detected without
vv> having  them  both  installed  at that time. but i still bet 80:20
vv> that they DIDN'T identify your platform as upgradable to dual CPU.

I don't think that's possible at all. AFAIK you'll have to upgrade the
CPU  (Device  Manager  ->System)  to  get  a  new  HAL  that  supports
multi-core cpus.

vv> and  the same story applies to hyperthread. do NOT disable HT when
vv> you  do  a first-time Windows installation. or else, a story might
vv> appear  on  slashdot,  claiming  HT is broken+braindead+hackprone.
vv> then  it  appears  reprinted  and  translated  on  a zillion other
vv> sites... :)

I  don't  know about HT but switching froma AMDx64 to a AMDX2 64 was a
breeze.

Goncalo Farias

Barfigngen: Car Sickness in a Volkswagen.