Hello, fellow Bat-lovers.

On Friday, October 15, 1999, 9:20:41 AM, Thomas wrote:

> Hallo Keith,

> On Friday, October 15, 1999, 9:53:08 PM, Keith Russell wrote:

>>> On Friday, October 08, 1999, 1:14:28 PM, Syafril Hermansyah wrote:

KR>> [snip]

>>> GB2312 is used on the mainland, Big5 here in Taiwan.

KR>> Right. So what's Andele?

> It's a font, whereas the others mentioned are encoding systems.

Actually, MS Hei, MingLiu, MS Mincho, and MS Song are fonts, too; GB
and BIG5 are the encodings.

I just wondered what encoding Andele relates to; it doesn't look like
a CJK font.

>>> I run C-Win98, and it's the Chinese version (meaning all the
>>> Windows stuff is written in Chinese, and I have to work a lot from
>>> memory). The bilingual version Chin/Engl is instable.

KR>> I didn't even know there was a Chinese/English version.

> I've never seen it, because everybody told me not to buy it. But I
> know that there is also a Japanese/English Win98, because I know
> someone who has the biggest troubles with it.

Guess I won't be looking to install the Korean/English version 8-).

>>> I also read&write Thai, so that would be really an advantage :-)

KR>> So you read and write Thai, but not Chinese? I'm envious. I never
KR>> got very far with the Thai writing system; it's so inconsistent it
KR>> might as well be logographic, like Chinese ;-).

> Unlike Chinese, it has actual letters (44 consonants and 12 vowels;
> and some tone markers and other stuff), so you can read and pronounce
> a word if you don't know it. It's pretty consistent; which one of the
> five T's or two N's or so you have to use in which word depends on the
> origin of the word ... but this is far OT. ;-)

Well..."pretty" consistent? What about about the silent characters,
and the missing ones? Anyway, this discussion is OT; we can continue
it offline, maybe....

 > Oh, and no surprise: Thai characters display as Chinese characters
under > C-Win98, like Russian charcters, too.

8-(

 Keith Russell
 mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]