Hi Keith,

on Saturday, October 16, 1999, 10:13:38 AM, Keith Russell wrote:

> [...]

Keith Russell>>> Okay, not a problem for me, since I'm running English Windows. Might
Keith Russell>>> be for others, though.
>> Most of the mixed language versions like Thai are unstable and I
>> havent seen any critical updates for ages so presumably those should
>> be targets of hacking attachs(g)

KR> "Mixed language versions" like Thai? I don't understand what you're
KR> saying here.

Dual-language versions. The Thai Windows is actualy Thai/English. Used
it for nine years ;-)

Keith Russell>>> Fascinating. So what is your business? Please reply in private if
Keith Russell>>> you'd like; I'm very interested.
>> We sell / build / service PC's in South Thailand and most of our
>> customers are the local foreigners who kind of dislike the idea to
>> have Thais inside their systems...
>> Plus that I myself am involved in the USA in a system security
>> company and am at present setting up a second service center in the
>> area where I live...

That is *very* interesting - whereabouts in Southern Thailand are you?
I am going into some software selling in Thailand, with friends in
BKK. Target group Thais, though, not foreigners. I just came back from
Phuket and might be there again in two weeks or so.

>> Thai has a small utility from a local university which works fine,

KR> Small utility that does what?

I'd like to know which one you mean. I would also like to know which
encoding system you think is more widely used: Chula or KU? I don't
have a Thai Windows any more, and when I did, I didn't look what they
use.

One interesting thing: C-win's chinese character set Big5 overrrides
the fonts on all applics, and even Thai fonts display as chinese
characters. Exception: Chula Word works excellent. It comes with the
Thai drivers and for some reason, they override C-Win. I have to find
out how they do that, that's our solution for the CJK problem!

>> stay away from Thai master, its  better looking but also a master in
>> system corruption.   So if you need Thai, very likely a font could be
>> found for theBAT..I havent tried it. (And anyway, I cannot read or
>> write it but I can install chinese/japanese or whatever windows....).

I have a number of Thai fonts, and my favourite is Angsual. You can
download more from Nectec (if you are with Internet Thailand
Co.,Ltd.).

KR> So we have someone with a Spanish surname who lives in Taiwan and
KR> doesn't read or write Chinese but does read or write Thai, and another
KR> who lives (or works) in Thailand and doesn't read or write Thai....

And an American (Englishman/Australian?) who reads and writes Korean...

KR> This is truly an international community we have here, isn't it? I
KR> think it's great! (As well as being very envious....)

;-)

>> We have as problem here anyway that hardly anyone wants to pay for
>> software so while I wouldnt mind selling theBAT, with all the free
>> software around its , well, difficult!

I sold (!) some of the programmes I wrote in Thailand. :-)

Keith Russell>>> I have downloaded all the Korean support. The result was that Internet
Keith Russell>>> Explorer and Outlook/Express now work great--but no effect on The Bat,
Keith Russell>>> which, as Thomas mentioned, does not appear to pay any attention to
Keith Russell>>> the DBCS fonts.
>> correct...  But Thai has diferent fonts.

KR> Different from what? Do you mean that they're not DBCS fonts? Or that
KR> TB will display Thai using various fonts? Or something else?

Thai is not a double-byte language as I explained earlier. But you
have a choice of different fonts, as Thais can be very creative. <g>

Keith Russell>>> Thanks--especially for the Office 2000 suggestion. I'll check it out.
>> Should work, MS says somewhere it is using unicode, no idea if correct
>> or if it changed...

KR> Using Unicode for Office 2000? Or for Windows 2000? I think Unicode
KR> requires OS support....

<risking to sound stupid> What is Unicode? An encoding system, similar
to ISO-8859-1 or so?

Thomas.

Message reply created with The Bat! 1.36
under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 1998
on a Pentium II/350 MHz.