Hi all,

On Sunday, October 31, 1999, 12:55:31 PM (-5 GMT), Paula scribbled:

MDP>>> Very  true!  Computers  are  not  the  source of frustration.
MDP>>> It is an individual's own ineptitude that provides it.

>> You are both right, but still I am human and I get frustrated when the
>> programme does something else than I want it to do. See my other mail.

> A user upgrades to Windows 98, carefully following all the instructions.

[beautiful examples of how computers can frustrate even though the
user is making more than a reasonable effort snipped]

> All these examples are from real life. Want more? I could fill a volume.
> How are any of these problems the result of the ineptitude of the users?

Definitely not. I find the implication of the statement most offensive
and clueless in it's own way.

> When you have to spend nearly as much time understanding the obscure
> elements of how a tool works, diddling with it, fixing unexpected
> errors, etc., as you do trying to use it for what you want and need
> to use it for, then in my book that tool is frustrating. And, when
> the quality standard of an industry is 'well, it works OK for most
> people', then in my book that industry is still in the primitive
> stages of developing.

> As for RTFM - as someone who always RTFM, or more often the online help,
> which is the only written help one gets with most software these days, I
> can only say that if the people who wrote these things knew the first
> thing about clear writing, or if software companies would invest in
> hiring people whose business it is to write good manuals or help files,
> then users might be more inclined to read them.

I agree that generally this is so. A lot give you 'Yoda type'
guidelines where you are given hint type info and then you figure it
out when you fiddle. I find it fun as a hobbyist but I can understand
the frustrations of someone who needs to learn quickly, through
effective and clear help files, what to do so they can get on with it.
My latest acquired software is a nice little file manager called
'enriva voyager' (explorer isn't enough for me, yet I don't need Bash
:)). The documentation is really the pits. You learn by
experimentation and the website doesn't help either. I had to write to
the developers about the file synchronization utility after giving up
trying to figure it out.

> Yes, there are the users whose first response when they encounter
> anything they don't know how to do or fix is to call support (or
> yell across the office), and obviously when you are doing support,
> this is going to be your picture of users. But, if this were most
> users, there wouldn't be enough phone lines in the world to handle
> the flood of calls.

Amen to that!!!!

> And, I can match every story that a support person can tell about
> the clueless user with one about the clueless support person. But,
> users don't bother circulating these stories around the internet to
> the condescending chuckles of those who revel in their in-the-know
> status. Computing is not the center of their lives. Should it be?

I couldn't agree more. Why can't I. I agree more. :)))))

> My apologies to those on the list who could care less for this long
> message.

I found it most refreshing actually. Great post. It's off topic but at
least you have one appreciative reader. :)

--
Regards,
 -=Ali=-

   >>> I'm fascinated by the way memory diffuses fact. <<<
  Running The Bat! v1.36 in Windows NT 4.0 (Service Pack 5)