Labas vakaras, Edvinas,

> I've got question marks when tried to copy/paste russian text from The Bat!
> to other application. Other way (from another application to The Bat!) works
> correct.

> Default codepage is Baltic (windows-1257).

> I've tried to do it with KOI8-R.

To say the most important thing at first: I do not have an answer to
the question.

But here come some elements to understand what is going on and a
workaround:

The question marks are often a sign that there is somewhere in the
chain an application which is not aware (or not fully aware) of unicode (UTF-8).

If it were a simple problem of representing the cyrillic characters
properly, there would not be question marks but rather some character
salad like "Такие письма называются спамом". But in your case the text is
not only rendered wrongly, but even destroyed.

When you copy and paste something from one place to another the
copied and pasted text passes through the Windows clipboard. That is
why the problem might occur at (at least) 3 different stages: A first
question is whether the Windows clipboard understands Unicode at all
(if not, everything is considered to be in your system's default
codepage).
Then there might be transmission problems when putting things from TB
to the clipboard and later also when the text is transmitted from
the clipboard to the other application.

From Windows 2000 onwards the clipboard fully supports unicode. That
means that your problem is not there. If you are having this problem
when you copy *from* TB not only to *one* particular application, but
to *different* other applications, it is probable that not all the
other applications cause the same problem, but that the problem starts
already when you copy from TB.

TB is not fully UTF-8 aware. As you probably noticed, TB can read
(receive) European characters which are UTF-8 coded (but not Asian
characters), and it is completely unable to write (send) UTF-8 coded
messages.

But I do not know what TB does exactly (and what it should do) when
text is copied to the clipboard.

This is only what I know about these things. But there should be
people out there on the list who know more about this.... !

One last thing you might try (but I have little hope) is to copy not
from a KOI8-R coded message, but from a Windows coded message (Windows
1251). This might make it a little easier to get the copied text drom
TB to the Windows clipboard.

Now comes the workaround:
Instead of copying from TB you can save the Russian text from the
email-body to an external file (*.txt) (Messages -> Save as). The
result is a text file which is encoded "Windows cyrillic". If you open
it in the Notepad you probably get character salad (already better
than question marks). But when you open it in a more skilled text
editor ('Word' or whatever) you get your text correctly decoded.

C>> P.S.: You seem to have a coding problem also with the Baltic
C>>       characters of your second name in the alias of the FROMADDR
C>>       of your message.

> ISO-8859-13 is official standard for Baltic languages (well, it's ISO!) and
> I think that The Bat! should have support of this encoding in distribution
> package.

In this case this has nothing to do with the skills of TB, but with
the probability that the people who read your message have ISO-8859-13
loaded or not. TB supports it, but I guess most of us on TBUDL don't
have it loaded.
There are plenty of ISO charsets which do not come the standard
distribution package. What I like with TB is that you can add yourself
charsets you need.

C>> Where did you get the ISO 8859-13 implementation for TB?
> Downloaded translation table for it. Don't remeber where I found it though.

Can I get a copy? (-:

Cyrille
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

[ TB! 2.11.02, Windows ME 4.90 Build 3000, Pentium 233Mhz with 95MB ]