Hello Greg!

On Saturday, August 06, 2005, 6:10 PM, you wrote:

>> But I don't remember doing anything to get those duplicate listings of
>> American English plus British English.

> Well I'm on my Office XP OS partition as I write this email. It never
> had Office 97 installed, and I have both American English and British
> English as options under the Spell Checker | Language in the 'Edit
> Mail Message' window. So I venture to say those options have nothing
> to do with MS Office which is what I thought all along.

But do you have them twice? At the top of the list and at the bottom
of the list, with a horizontal line separating the two at the bottom
from the long list above which has the first two at the top?

Like this:

American English
British English
Danish
Dutch
British
French
German (New Spelling)
German (Old Spelling)
Italian
Norwegian (Bokmal)
Portuguese (Brazilian)
Portuguese (Iberian)
Spanish
Swedish
_____________________
American English
British English

In mine, I have American English at the bottom checked. And it does
not flag email as misspelled.

Now, as a test, I'm flagging (checking) American English at the top,
instead. And sure enough, it does stop at email as misspelled, just as
you said.

If you don't have them twice, so that you can check the American
English (or British English) at the bottom, you indeed do not have the
CSAPI dictionary installed, as it says in
Help/Index/Find/Dictionaries/Spell-Checker/--and scrolling down, the
information that The Bat! automatically detects and installs CSAPI.

Now, as we both know, the Help file is old, much of it not yet revised
for v. 3.xx--some of it going back to 1.xx.

Do you think you may have found a bug in v. 3.51.10, whereby TB! no
longer automatically detects and installs the CSAPI dictionary from
Office 97?

Here's a copy-and-paste from what MIguel said to me on April 18, 2005,
on how to know if I had both dictionaries installed:
(TBBETA mid:[EMAIL PROTECTED] )

> Maybe you have both available. Try something. Open the editor and
> select
> one of you British English dics and then select Spell
> Checker/Dictionaries. What dic is shown in Dictionary-File? If it is
> UserDic.TLX then that is not CSAPI.

Yes. UserDic.TLX from the top entry.

> Now select the other British English and do the same. Do you get the
> same UserDic.tlx or do you perhaps get eng_uk.dic or something
> similar?
> If you get eng_uk.dic then that's CSAPI dic from MS Office.

From the bottom entry, selecting British English, I do see eng_uk.dic.

Astounding. How I got it, I have no idea. However, I was running Word
97 when I got my first TB!, v. 1.61.

So, what do you think, Greg? Should 3.51.10 have copied this for you
from Office 97? If so, and it hasn't, either there's a bug in it or
something has gone wrong locally for you.

Sorry, if this is still no help. :(

Mary
The Bat! 3.51.10 on Windows XP 5.1 2600 Service Pack 2