I think this is good advice. Many ISP's prevent more than (say) 60 connections
an hour, so it could be that the delay is there if the mail is read too much.

If you really need that frequency, then use IMAP instead.  Otherwise set it to
something like 4 or 5 minutes.

Other delays are often associated with some sort of internal network problem.
Is the Bat data file on a local (default) drive, or is it on a network drive?

Trevor

Using The Bat! v3.99.25 on Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2