On Saturday, April 18, 2009, at 4:20:47 AM, AC wrote:
> In the same dialog, for each template, there are check boxes for "Use For"
> "New Messages", "Reply
> Messages", and "Forward messages". However, in each of your Account
> properties, you have to set up
> templates for all these categories anyway. Again, what's the  difference, and
> how is each one meant
> to be used? Furthermore, why do i even have to check those options?

I start from the top down. That is, I first set up the templates for my
accounts (I only use three accounts, and one of those is for archiving old
messages so it's never used for sending or receiving, hence does not need any
templates). Then, if I want the same template in both accounts, I set it up as
a Common Template and in its Options pane, check off both accounts under "Use
In." This lets me omit that template from both the accounts. The next level
down is at the "Group" stage. I have several groups of users that get
specialized templates, stored under the "Group." Finally, there are individual
templates at the Address Book level, and apply only to the specific user.

When a template is to be used, the program looks first at the Address Book
level for one specific to the recipient. If there's not one, it looks at the
groups to which that recipient belongs. If there's still not one, it looks in
the Common Templates if the account is checked, and finally at the Account
properties. The first time it finda a template, it's the one used. The only
ones that have to be there are those in the Account properties. All the rest
are optional, letting you select special treatment for individual users, for
user groups, or everyone. In my case, most of the template properties provided
are left blank. Only a few Address Book templates are used, a couple of groups
get special treatment, and most of my Quick Templates are specific to one
account or the other although in all of them I have "Use In" checked for both
because I created most of them before learning about the Common Templates. I
don't use the QTINCLUDE macro a lot, but it's nice to have available.

I hope this helps a bit; I agree that the documentation leaves much to be
desired, mostly because so much of what does exist is obsolete and no longer
valid. There is a conventional online forum, but my experience has been that
the mailing lists are so much more helpful that I've not logged into that forum
for many weeks now and when I do, I don't find much of interest. One of the
reasons for lack of documentation is the lack of a common language; the user
base here is the most internationalized of all the programs I use. I understand
that if I were able to read Russian I could find more information on line
(since that's the native language of the developers). This is a problem for
many other programs as well; that's why the mailing lists continue to be the
most reliable data sources.

--
Jim Kyle

Using The Bat! v4.0.34 on Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600Service Pack 3
with AntiSpamSniper Version 3.0.1.2