On Dec 16, 2004, at 4:30 PM, Paul Thomas wrote:

But, the behavior "do not create executable if undefined symbols
are present" is not the same as having the linker "fail", is it?

What autoconf wants is to have an attempt to compile and link a program that refers to a particular symbol cause, on a system that doesn't have that symbol in the libraries being used, the linker to exit with a non-zero exit status; that's the sense in which the linker needs to fail in order for autoconf to work.

Also, if there is a way of getting the linker to fail with
undefined references, so that we could, in theory, have the
configure script use an option to make it do so:

This is problematic. Unfortunately, I do not know how, and the
documentation does not make it obvious that this can be done for the linker.

Oh, well - I guess that means that autoconf won't work on QNX (or QNX4, at least - it won't work on any of the QNX versions where the Watcom linker is being used).

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.