--- Begin Message ---
On Thu, 7 Jan 2021 16:46:41 -0800
Guy Harris <ghar...@sonic.net> wrote:

> 3.1 dates back to 2015.  That might be sufficient to treat as a
> minimum.

5 years of backward compatibility might be OK'ish, although from time
to time I run into such "long-term support" systems that in practice
mean someone keeps paying good money for "support" for 5-10 years, but
they don't get bugs fixed or new software versions backported. In my
own experience this tends to have something to do with RedHat Linux
distributions.

Regarding the solution you consider, I have not tried the fixes from
your previous message yet and I do not understand every facet of the
problem. Have you considered to declare somewhere that certain ways of
building work only in this and this particular basic manner? And/or to
disable some smart ways of libpcap detection automatically if cmake is
too old, instead of failing the build outright?

--
    Denis Ovsienko

--- End Message ---