Hey Michael,
   Your scenario is the exact reason why version numbers
in the 'struct pcap' would be a wonderful thing, as you
can test compatibility on the fly.  That I believe
would be the best of all worlds.

   While I very much appreciate the use of good software
engineering practices to get a grip on extensibility and
backward compatibility, it should not be at the expense
of actually using the full capabilities of the library.
Why should you guys care if I decide to use pcap_read()
instead of pcap_dispatch()?  I save at least 10 machine
instructions per packet by calling pcap_read() directly.
If you guys decide to change pcap_read() on the fly,
that's great!!!  Just put an indication somewhere in
the 'struct pcap' that there is a change.

   If the application writer decides to do internal
pcap things, then it's the application writer that
has to deal with backward and forward compatibility.

Carter

Carter Bullard
QoSient, LLC
300 E. 56th Street, Suite 18K
New York, New York  10022

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Phone +1 212 588-9133
Fax   +1 212 588-9134
http://qosient.com

-
This is the TCPDUMP workers list. It is archived at
http://www.tcpdump.org/lists/workers/index.html
To unsubscribe use mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?body=unsubscribe