On Thu, Mar 04, 2010 at 06:14:52AM -0800, J.C. Roberts wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 09:38:12 +0100 Marc Espie <es...@nerim.net> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Mar 03, 2010 at 04:46:18PM -0800, J.C. Roberts wrote:
> > >   Boolean variables should be set to Yes instead of simply
> > > being defined, for uniformity and future compatibility.
> >
> > This takes time to finish changing.
> >
> > > 1.) The majority of the scripts in ports/infrastructure do not
> > > bother to check /etc/mk.conf at all, so saying "or" and "also" seems
> > > unwise without context. The best answer seems to be to preface the
> > > statement with, "When running make ..."
> >
> > This ought to change. It's just a bit more expensive to do it in
> > scripts, as it requires running make.
> >

> The first hurdle for me is checking to make sure all the scripts use
> the environment variables. Once those patches are in, we can revisit
> the /etc/mk.conf, make, and performance issues.

A lot of those scripts are old stuff, which is probably going to vanish
soon, since the newer infrastructure handles things in a consistent way.

> > mk.conf is *NOT* a config file, it is a piece of Makefile !
> >

> Yep, it's a Makefile typically used to store local configuration. ;)

And the only way to parse it correctly is... to run make. Which can be
a bit expensive. But this point has been noted, and I intend to see whether
I can make things a bit more consistent after 4.7 is out the door.

> I had a funny feeling about the capitalization. It seemed someone
> had obviously used "Yes" by intent in spite of the precedence for
> using "YES" --I left the capitalization as you prefer, but made sure
> everything is quoted identically with straight double quotes.

I actually don't see the points of double quotes. Why double quotes ?
In makefiles, or shell script, you often do not need any quotes at all.
The .Sq macro was chosen on purpose, because it does not match actual
syntax, and forces people to think about what they're about to do.