On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 02:46:44PM +0200, Joachim Schipper wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 11:55:22AM +0200, Marc Espie wrote:
> > I want to tweak the directory structure for ports.
> > I'd like to go for a lot of stuff to
> >
> > ports/infrastructure/bin
> > ports/infrastructure/lib
> > ports/infrastructure/man
> >
> > the current setup (build, fetch, install, package) is my mistake, and
> > frankly it sucks. Some of the scripts are callable outside of bsd.port.mk,
> > and you have to remember the path. There is no standard documentation out
> > of the scripts, and there are a few perl modules that could use one
> > single place.
> >
> > I would keep db, plist, templates. I don't think they're that confusing.
> >
> > The only drawback is that we're going to lose cvs history. doesn't seem
> > like such a big problem to me. Also, third party may lose "compatibility"
> > as scripts move around. That's easy to solve with symlinks, so I don't
> > care too much.
> >
> > Did I miss anything ?
>
> Something you may also want to consider: currently, you can't really
> install a partial ports tree. If all modules were kept in e.g.
> ports/infrastructure/modules, it may be possible to install only a
> hypothetical ports-infrastructure.tar.gz (like sys.tar.gz, but for
> ports) and a couple of individual ports (e.g. under mystuff/).
>
> This would make it very easy to upgrade just one package on a -stable
> system (e.g. to fix a security issue or get an updated port from
> -current). It would be even better if FETCH_PACKAGES could be made to
> work in this scenario, but that's not required.
>
> This is in no way a must-have feature, but if you're moving stuff
> anyway...

No-go. You also need proper depends to compute default pkgnames for the
package, so you mostly need the full ports tree anyways.

And modules was specifically designed to be modular, with no central place...
I *could* have bsd.port.mk auto-checkout directories when needed with a
specific cvs script,

But considering the small size of the ports tree, it is probably one more
useless feature.
though.