On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 06:25:59PM +0200, Henning Brauer wrote:
> * Alexander Bluhm <alexander.bl...@gmx.net> [2014-04-24 18:18]:
> > The carp_setroute() function starts with the encouraging comment
> > /* XXX this mess needs fixing */.
>
> I didn't change my mind at least :)
> 1.136        (henning  04-May-07):      /* XXX this mess needs fixing */
>
> > When switching carp states fast,
> > the routing table gets messed up.  In our product we removed all
> > calls to carp_setroute(sc, RTM_DELETE).  There is one carp_setroute(sc,
> > RTM_ADD) left.  I don't know wether it is needed.  I would recommend
> > to try to delete the whole function and fix fallout if any.
>
> I tend towards that.
> ryan, marco?

I think I have not lookd at that code in nearly 10 years, I will need
more coffee. Maybe someone can summon the ghost of pasco@, as he did
most of the cleanup in the 3.5->3.6 series of major changes.

Part of the reason it's there is to make carp work properly for services
listening on the carp interface, in particular so that hosts in the
BACKUP state will reach the MASTER rather than trying and failing to
connect to their own carp interface. Maybe not needed in all setups, but
likely to break things if we simply remove it.