On Sep 21, 2014, at 11:50 AM, Theo de Raadt <dera...@cvs.openbsd.org> wrote:

>> One way to manage the file is the "openresolv" script I mentioned
>> earlier. The idea is that entities like dhclient invoke it with
>> resolver information they want to use and the script merges requests
>> from multiple sources.
>
> I do not understand how this solution will practically work.  Seeing
> as it is a script, over time it will bloat into an unmanageable layer
> dealing with changes between hand-edited static files, the dhclient
> scenario, and now the ipv6 scenario.
>
> Sure, your sample is 3 lines long.  In a year, it will be pages long
> of complicated.
>
> I also don't think you understand that dhclient has been substantially
> modified to NOT USE A SCRIPT.

No, I didn't know that about dhclient. I'm not a big fan of shell scripts
either, in terms of maintainability. The 3-liner was not meant to be
representative of a real implementation, obviously. Its purpose was testing out
the ported code from FreeBSD. That code uses an approach different than where
OpenBSD is headed, so it's probably best to come at this from an entirely new
angle.