espie@openbsd, dera...@cvs.openbsd.org
Bcc:
Subject: Re: sqlite 3.8.11.1

On Wed, Sep 09, 2015 at 08:45:10AM +0000, Miod Vallat wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > thanks to the hard work of jturner@, here's a 650kb gzipped update to
> > sqlite 3.8.11.1, bumping shlib to 31.0. This is needed for upcoming
> > firefox 41 update, but anyone is welcome to look into the update itself.
> >
> > Not attaching the diff because of the size, available at
> > http://rhaalovely.net/~landry/stuff/sqlite-3.8.11.1.diff.gz
>
> Do we really need to import lib/libsqlite3/ext/fts5/test/ which amounts
> for half of the diff?

To give a little background on why we have all these directories and
files based on my understanding...

When espie@ imported sqlite he wanted to follow upstream so he imported
what was distrubuted with sqlite. Since then we do tagged (based on the
sqlite version) imports whenever we do an update. So when a diff is sent
out it includes all new files in that sqlite release. In this case there
is a new fts5 backend which contains a lot of tests (which we never
run). We also haven't enabled the fts5 backend at this time.

Now we could change strategies and I could only create a diff of the
changes we actually want and then remove all these extra files from our
tree and the use commit rather then import going forward.

I would be fine with this as it would make each update more manageable
but I'm not sure what espie@ original goals where with following
upstream.

--
James Turner