> > When espie@ imported sqlite he wanted to follow upstream so he imported
> > what was distrubuted with sqlite. Since then we do tagged (based on the
> > sqlite version) imports whenever we do an update. So when a diff is sent
> > out it includes all new files in that sqlite release. In this case there
> > is a new fts5 backend which contains a lot of tests (which we never
> > run). We also haven't enabled the fts5 backend at this time.
> >
> > Now we could change strategies and I could only create a diff of the
> > changes we actually want and then remove all these extra files from our
> > tree and the use commit rather then import going forward.
> >
> > I would be fine with this as it would make each update more manageable
> > but I'm not sure what espie@ original goals where with following
> > upstream.
>
> With nsd/unbound we have been removing the unused files. There are
> arguments in either direction of course.

We generally have been removing large chunks of 3rd party code we are
not using, including test suites or operating system specific
directories. We don't want to go as deep as cherry-picking every file,
because that becomes impossible to maintain.

But dropping a 3 megabyte diff, of which more than half is new code
which won't be used, is a bit too much for my taste.