On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 8:30 AM, Stefan Sperling <s...@stsp.name> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 01:11:16PM +0200, Henning Brauer wrote:
> > however, the ruleset in this case does NOT load.
> > <brahe@quigon>  $ echo '"a macro with spaces"="foo"\npass from $a\
> macro\ with\ spaces"' | pfctl -nvf -
> > a macro with spaces = "foo"
> > stdin:2: macro 'a' not defined
> > stdin:2: syntax error
>
> Ah, good. I tested with just a macro definition, but not use.

I have explain the use of spaced macro,
a config file that is self explanatory.

I've been around a while, and i saw a lot of effort
making configuration file clean and meaningful.
A recent example is the doas.conf file.

A parsing tool is not like hacking into an advanced kernel
feature with unexpected side effect, so the feature of fully
handling macro is
 * not an hassle
 * a plus, as you can define element in a more clear way
 * not a risk

BTW,
There s better way to change the parse.y to kill the space,
not using STRING.
It s in the samples of the lexer, for c code.

I hope someone will help the case for spaces in macro.

Cheers.

/\