> On Mar 18, 2017, at 8:48 PM, trondd <tro...@kagu-tsuchi.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> Actually, rereading what I quoted, I see you're concerned with unmasking
> false positives, which can be manually rerun in isolation to reproduce.
> My thought still stands for the flip-side where a test fails due to a
> previous test.

I think determining a false negative *is* a false negative would require
basically the same steps:

    * Run the test in isolation.

    * Did it fail?  If yes, this is probably not a false negative.  If not,
      you could have a false negative.

    * Try to reproduce the steps that caused it to fail the first time (you
      have a record, e.g., on your console, in your logs, etc.).

    * Can you reproduce it?  If you can, you probably have a false negative.
      Otherwise, something else is off.

Not an exact science by any means, but a start.

Unless I misunderstood your question.

--
Scott Cheloha