On 10/11/22 13:10, bug wrote:
On Mon, Oct 10, 2022 at 11:17:32AM -0600, Theo de Raadt wrote:
It's been explained a few times that being up-to-date is not an error.
It's a good thing, and no action is neccessary when up-to-date.

Any non-zero value indicates an error, that would include 2.  You are
marking this as an error, when it isn't.

It's been said that being up-to-date is not an error, but if it's been
explained, I've failed to find an explanation.

It didn't fail, your system is up-to-date as requested. So, it's successful.

Usually, when a utility fails to perform its intended task, it gives an
error. This includes when the task is not necessary, e.g. using rm to
remove a file which doesn't exist, using mkdir to make a directory which
already exists, or using gzip to compress a file that wouldn't benefit
from compression (unless you tell it to do so anyway, of course).

I'm not an expert on sysupgrade, but it seems to me like it could in
fact fail incorrectly if one's system is pointed to a mirror that, for
whatever reason, is itself outdated. In a macabre sense, this is
inevitable if one maintains an older copy of OpenBSD that outlives
OpenBSD itself, as URLs are not permanent.

And how is it supposed to know your mirror is out of date? Giving an error there won't help as if your mirror is outdated, it will also tell you that your system is up to date as of this mirror.
Besides, for some testing purposes, you might need an outdated repo.

Given all this, I don't understand why it's a "good thing" if sysupgrade
decides partway through that it doesn't need to do anything after all.

It did things, it verified your system was up-to-date as you asked.

I don't personally care what exit code it throws, I only use the tool
manually, I'd just like to know the rationale if anyone cares to
elaborate.