Thus said Stuart Henderson on Wed, 30 Nov 2022 16:13:36 +0000:

> It allows a much tighter pledge in the client, so less attack surface
> against a bad server.

So it's to  prevent a malicious SSH server from  exploiting a client who
choses  to use  ~C to  open up  the ssh>  prompt and  create or  destroy
tunnels?

> Alternatively  you  can  use  connection  multiplexing  (which  didn't
> support  ~C  anyway) and  run  a  separate ssh  -L  /  -R, which  will
> establish an extra channel using the existing connection.

I also already use connection multiplexing,  so this might be an option,
however, does  this mean that  I'll have  to maintain an  extra terminal
just so I can  open a new -L/-R or can I just  login and logout and that
will effectively open the channel on the master channel and then exit?

I guess I'll have to experiment some. But I'll probably just turn on the
new option whenever I encounter the lack of functionality.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Andy