Thus said Theo de Raadt on Wed, 30 Nov 2022 19:44:09 -0700:

> It  makes ssh  safer  for people  who don't  use  the fancy  features,
> because the ssh client cannot perform a vast number of system calls if
> it gets fooled.

Got it, makes sense now; and  as you say my understanding was backwards.
pledge() is  being used to eliminate  a bunch of risky  system calls for
those who are  not using ~C and are  still at risk even if  they are NOT
using ~C  (especially where ~C  users are in  the minority as  you point
out).

Also, as  Stuart explained, there  is at least an  alternative mechanism
for opening up dynamic tunnels which means that the need to enable ~C is
even less  compelling (as long  as one  is using ControlMaster  which is
arguably another  one of  those "power user"  features). And  while I've
used ControlMaster  for years, I  was unaware  of this alternative  as I
didn't realize that  a shared session could cause the  master to open up
new tunnels that  would remain in place even after  the slave exits (nor
indeed had I even  thought to try it). In my testing  it seems that they
do in fact remain.

Thanks,

Andy