On Mon, May 15, 2023 at 09:17:00AM -0400, Okan Demirmen wrote:
> On Mon 2023.05.15 at 10:41 +0200, Matthieu Herrb wrote:
> > On Mon, May 15, 2023 at 06:26:41AM +0000, Klemens Nanni wrote:
> > > Both fvwm(1) and twm(1) have a restart menu that contains other window
> > > managers by default, which is useful if you want to switch around
> > > without restarting X and/or custom window manager config.
> > >
> > > cwm(1) only offers to restart into itself by deafult.
> > > Add the other two we ship by default so users can round trip between
> > > them.
> > >
> > > Feedback? OK?
> >
> > Last year I mentionned that I think we should retire twm. It's really
> > too old and missing support for the modern window managers hints.
> >
> > People still using it should switch to cwm or maybe ctwm from ports
> > (to keep the same configurarion system), or someone should step up to
> > maintain it and enhance it with exwmh support. (but this is somehow
> > just wasting time imho).
> >
> > Otherwise ok to add this and fix the other WM menus for other window
> > managers (those parts of the configs are already local changes in
> > Xenocara)
>
> I might argue the opposite, to remove cwm from fvwm and twm restart menus, if
> this inconsistency is a real concern. The entries in fvwm/twm are in the
> (shipped) example config files, where-as below it is, well, there for good
> with
> no user choice. Heck, how often to do people even use this restart wm to
> another WM outside of playing around? Most window managers handle restarts
> differently, regardless of what ICCCM/EWMH says) and even then, crossing
> window
> managers like this introduces inconsistencies. It's fine for playing around I
> suppose, but is it really a demanded "workflow"?
>

> > > PS:  fwvm and twm menus more programs we don't ship, e.g. "wm2", and
> > >   twm dies when failing to execute them (fvwm and cwm keeps running);
> > >   do we want to keep those default-broken entries around?
>
> I'd support removing them.

+1

I don't think hardcoding window managers into cwm makes sense. I don't
think anyone is actually switching around WMs at runtime like this.

If the point is for new users to have an example that provides a list
of alternative WMs, perhaps this is a man page issue and they should
be added to "SEE ALSO" sections.

-Bryan.