I'm not an OpenBSD developer but, allow me to share my opinion about
this, please.

On May 15 2023, Okan Demirmen wrote:
> On Mon 2023.05.15 at 10:41 +0200, Matthieu Herrb wrote:
> > Last year I mentionned that I think we should retire twm. It's really
> > too old and missing support for the modern window managers hints.

For full support for ICCCM/EWMH you already have that modern, updated
and maintained version of fvwm you have in base :-).

> > People still using it ...

I started using unix-like systems in 2006, I guess that *decades* before
twm was already short for daily desktop use.  But twm has been always
there as part of the default X installation on any unix-like system.
Perhaps because its simplicity is precisely what makes twm useful as a
rescue option?  This is, at least, the use I've made of twm along all
these years.

As a side note.  Even being so simple, unlike the other two WMs in base,
twm supports utf-8.  This is now in part dysfunctional since you removed
half of the bitmap fixed "miscellaneous" fonts, which also affects fvwm2
and fvwm3 ports.

> > Otherwise ok to add this and fix the other WM menus for other window
> > managers (those parts of the configs are already local changes in
> > Xenocara)
>
> I might argue the opposite, to remove cwm from fvwm and twm restart menus, if
> this inconsistency is a real concern. The entries in fvwm/twm are in the
> (shipped) example config files, where-as below it is, well, there for good
> with
> no user choice. Heck, how often to do people even use this restart wm to
> another WM outside of playing around? Most window managers handle restarts
> differently, regardless of what ICCCM/EWMH says) and even then, crossing
> window
> managers like this introduces inconsistencies. It's fine for playing around I
> suppose, but is it really a demanded "workflow"?
>

> > > PS:  fwvm and twm menus more programs we don't ship, e.g. "wm2", and
> > >   twm dies when failing to execute them (fvwm and cwm keeps running);
> > >   do we want to keep those default-broken entries around?
>
> I'd support removing them.

In my experience, restarting from one window manager to another has *never*
worked fine.

--
Walter