Unfortunate as it is, most software around for Windows these days does not have
a simple keyboard interface so therefore one must use the other tools a Screen
Reader has to offer in order that the user is able to make the most of the
software they're using or write some scripts to hide these flaws and make a
near keyboard interface.

As you've seen, Tune-Up Utilities is a case in point, its half usable with
keyboard commands and by no means the worst offender at this sort of thing, I
have software here which is reliant on the user using the JAWS cursor, mouse
pad or whatever the term applying to your Screen Reading software is.

Yep, some people would call that sort of software inaccessible when obviously
nothing could be further from the truth, an inaccessible piece of software is
exactly that, one that the user cannot use whatever!

Now I'm not referring to anyone in particular here as this is a general
observation.  I don't think a lot of people using Screen Reading software fully
appreciate just how far we've come when it comes to accessibility and perhaps
some people just cannot appreciate this fact for obvious reasons.  For instance
when I started out using an Apple Mac, one didn't get much feedback at all with
regard to what was happening, you had Microsoft Word for example and you were
left to your own devices to type a document, spell check and correct that
document if required and so on.

If a dialogue or an alert box came up then that's all you heard, "Dialogue" and
it was up to the user to examine the screen to find out what was going on.

If you think that was bad then go back a further few years to the days of CP/M
and Wordstar, obviously I was too young to use such a system at the time they
were hugely popular but I did use one in my work some 25 years ago because the
firm I worked for then saw no point in upgrading their computer system to MS
DOS as the CP/M with Wordstar had worked for years! and was still working.

When working with that system I got no feedback whatever, perhaps a beep every
now and then to let me know that I was in caps lock but that was it, you typed
your document and then used special keystrokes to examine that document,
examine the screen and so on.