hello Travis

To a point, I see where you're coming from. But to be absolutely fair, there
are actually now many Windows applications which do not use the old style of
interface. I have been doing a lot of reading since my initial post, as I'm
staying home a lot at the moment for personal reasons which i won't go into
here.

But getting back to the point. I think I jumped the gun a little with my
initial post. I was a bit shocked by the interface, that is true. But I haven't
used Windows much over the last couple of years and I clearly hadn't
appreciated just how much things have changed. Change is necessary, if we want
to avoid stagnation. So to be fair, Dane is quite right when he says that
people need to move with the times if they want to get the most out of their
system.

And as I said, it seems that the old way of doing things is now disappearing
just as the interface of Windows itself is now radically different.

For instance the old menu bar is gone; replaced by a tree view type of
interface which contains all of your options and functions in a multi-screen
environment. Visually the same is true of Tune-Up Utilities 2012 and it just
took me by surprise because I had kind of expected the old style to be present
when a screen-reader is loaded.

So actually, in all fairness, the fault was mine in a way because I did not
anticipate the change. I am still struggling with this thing from an
accessibility perspective and, since I don't have any other help at the moment,
because nobody is able, it seems, to assist me with the keyboard layout of the
screen-reader, I'm going to have to wait until Gordon is up to showing mere how
it works. I'm sure he will be able to figure it out. My problem is that I
simply don't understand the screen-reader in this configuration. We are using a
NetBook; and the keyboard layout of the screen-reader seems to need changing
from the default; but I don't know how to do it.

The last time I asked accessibility questions regarding software here I got my
proverbial head bitten off. So I will wait. But to get back to the original
point you raised, change is coming to Windows whether people like it or not;
and we just have to accept it. Windows 7, for instance, is nothing like Windows
XP in appearance.

Lynne