I received the second Omni S2 speaker by Polk Audio this morning and set about
connecting the speaker to my Wi-fi network and then pairing it with the
original Omni S2 speaker I bought a couple of weeks ago.
Pairing was simple enough after the second speaker was connected to the
network, just a patter of selecting setting from the main screen of the Play-Fi
app and then Stereo Pairing.
Each connected speaker is listed and there are checkboxes to allow the
selection of which channels you wish the speaker to be allocated, left or right.
After pairing has been completed you’re given the chance to name your paired
group “Outdoor” for example.
Its at this point that I made a note of something I’d not considered up until
this point.
I’d assumed that all Omni S2 speakers had a built-in rechargeable battery, this
is not the case.
There are indoor and outdoor Omni S2 speakers and you can tell the difference
between the two models if you know what you’re looking for.
The Outdoor model has covers over the sockets on the back and comes fitted with
a default wire mesh grill whilst the indoor model comes fitted by default with
a cloth grill and doesn’t have rubber covers over the sockets so be aware of
this when buying your Polk Audio Omni S2 speakers.
If you’re going to stay indoors and use these speakers - and given the sound of
them I think they’re an option worth considering - then the indoor units may do
just fine.
So before I do any further testing I really need to get another outdoor unit to
match the original.
As far as I can tell - and there’s no reason why I should be wrong - both
Indoor and outdoor units sound exactly the same, they certainly did when I
listened to both.
So how do they sound paired? Twice as good! <smile>, what a difference a stereo
speaker pair makes given you can totally customise the separation of the
speakers.
Only problem is of course that I can enjoy only mono outside.

Those of a positive and enquiring frame of mind will leave the rest of the
halfwits in this world behind.