This puts me in mind of the Pure Digital (as they were known then), PX1 –
released in the late 1990s. However, that radio used static speech, rather than
synthetic. So not quite the same.

On a similar topic, the Roberts Concerto 2, (UK version) is also designed for
the vision impaired. That device has a number of strengths, but a number of
glaring weaknesses as well. I meant to review it for the group on our Blog, so
I’ll do that over the weekend. I’ll post a link to the article on the list.