From: d.griff...@btinternet.com <d.griff...@btinternet.com>
Sent: Sunday, 18 August 2019 12:04 AM
To: techno-chat@techno-chat.net
Subject: RE: [Techno-Chat]: Sangean PR-D17 AM/FM Radio for the Visually
Impaired

Mileage may vary in different countries but I am baffled why so much effort has
gone into producing a set which excludes DAB.

For me, and I suspect a lot of other VIP people in the UK the majority of my
listening now in the UK is on DAB stations that simply do not exist on FM or Am.

For example, Radio 4 Extra on the BBC is the go to station for people wanting
broader access to Drama and comedy content.

This is not available on AM and FM.

Even stranger this radio seems to assume that VIP people in the UK have no
interest in sport.

If you wanted to listen to the Cricket World Cup your only option in the UK was
Five Live Sports Extra, an exclusively digital station. A few England matches
were broadcast on Long Wave Radio 4 but this radio does not apparently support
that either.

Ditto for the current Cricket Ashes series of England v Australia.

All the County Cricket competitions from Championship, List A  Australian Big
Bash, Indian Premier League   and English T20 Blast  are all exclusively
digital.

If you want to listen to Rugby either league or Union at domestic level the
only real options now are digital.

If you want to have the best experience of Tennis and Wimbledon you need
digital.

I don’t follow it myself but formula 1 is also exclusively digital.

This is especially baffling as sport is not by any means the minority market.
The reality is that sports is a massive market.

I remember an interview on BBC Feedback where people not interested in cricket
were complaining about cricket being hosted on Radio 4 Long Wave. The BBC
spokesperson explained that this would not change as the reality was that
audiences went up by something like 500% when the cricket was on Long Wave
during the Ashes.

This is why BBC and TalkSport pay so much money for the broadcasting rights.

Incidentally TalkSport2 in the UK is also an exclusively digital station. If
you want to listen to Championship football matches then again this is your
only real option unless you happen to come across a match on local radio.

If you want to listen to Premiership football commentary involving Norwich  and
Newcastle today you need digital to follow this on Talksport2.

People  argue about whether the appropriate digital platform is DAB or Internet
but to produce a crippled radio which has no access to either platform seems
like going back into a time warp to the 70s for me.

Sorry to be so harsh but I genuinely find it baffling why a radio aimed at VIP
people should explicitly carve itself out of so much important and valuable
free content.

David Griffith