I have to say I don’t agree with the below. Unfortunately, Microsoft still
won’t rewrite their low-level operating system which is still DOS. Windows
simply papers over the cracks in that regard, including the entry of long
filenames.

Under the hood, (the bonnet, as we call it), the base operating system cannot
handle those long filenames. Thus, an index is required whereby the Windows
interface simply does a match-up between the invisible short filename, and the
long filename. So as far as the user is concerned, long filenames are the norm.

Regarding maintenance of SSD drives, I couldn’t disagree more. Any file storage
system is subject to the software application or data modification formats. The
Windows NTFS system is, as I said, a very archaic system, first introduced in
Windows 95 or 98. So fragmentation can still be a big issue. File fragmentation
I mean, rather than sector or cluster fragmentation. File fragmentation will
occur whatever operating system is in use.

Regarding registry and cache maintenance, in my view, the best Windows repair
utility and maintenance utility is produced by MacPaw, and it’s the Windows
equivalent to the Mac’s version of CleanMyMac. Predictably, I guess, it’s name
is CleanMyPC.

The application of this utility can make a difference with even the latest and
greatest SSD devices. It’s the registry which stil causes the most problems in
Windows 10. Errors still happen, they’re just not as noticeable.

Finally, for the moment, I would also stil advocate the application of
synchronous backups. For this purpose, I still use my old trusty RolllBack RX
Professional. Oh yes, and Diskeeper 18 as well. These three utilities give me
peace of mind, but I’m not going to become complacent enough to assume that
Windows 10 is the solution to all issues. It clearly isn’t.

On a light-hearted note, I had a great laugh this morning when listening to my
local BBC Radio station. It was only by chance that I was listening, but I’m
ever so glad I was.

I guess I should feel sympathy for the poor lady presenter on air at the time.
She obviously became flustered and her technical engineers in the MCR, (Master
Control Room) didn’t do much to help her.

Basically, she went to introduce a piece of music which was performed by a
local artist who was in the studio. When she pushed the button to activate the
computer which they were using to play all their music, Windows presented her
with a black screen and totally crashed.

The entire studio facility froze. She was left with microphone control, but
nothing else. Even the digital studio monitor clock on the wall went dark.

She was desperately trying to keep the interview going whilst they recovered
the system. But it was clear that all of her pre-prepared script suddenly
disappeared before her eyes and she didn’t have a clue what to say to the
artist during the outage.

Took about 5 minutes to get her systems back up, but to her, it must have
seemed like an eternity. I couldn’t resist a hearty chuckle, because it’s
happened to me as well live on air, and I know how it feels.

But the inference that Windows 10 doesn’t crash is simply not valid. The best
thing one could say is that it is much more stable than windows NT or earlier.
But it’s still nowhere close to the stability of other systems, such as
UNIX/Linux-based systems, or even Apple’s “B-OS” based system. Conversely yet
again though, no computer system will ever be crash-proof. And I’d be a liar if
I were to say that my Macs have never crashed.

Just my own two Kenneth, for whatever it’s worth.