Hi.
I wrote to the list a couple of weeks ago.
At that time I had purchased a Kogan 32-inch Android Television for $219.
I concluded either of 2 situations would eventuate once I managed to install
the Television, either things would work well and I would have the bargain of
the year or I would be giving the Television away to someone.
I installed the Television on Saturday and none of my above conclusions have
been reached.
I need to do more work on the Television to get the device Talking and that may
help me with a couple of accessibility issues I’m currently having so that’s to
come.
I can relate my experience with the Television thus far with regard to setup
and navigation which is most interesting in itself, my notes may help others
considering travelling down the Kogan Android Television path.
Once all the neads to the Television were connected and the Television was
powered up I pressed the main power button on the bottom of the set to boot the
Television, this is what one must do for the first time to enter the setup
process according to the Quick Start Guide which is available as a PDF
thankfully.
The Television takes a minute or so to boot before presenting the setup screens.
At this point the remote control should be handy as you will need this to
navigate the setup which is done by 3 buttons, the left, the okay and the right
which are part of the left/right/up/down/okay pad – okay being the round button
in the centre of the arrow keys -.
The remote control first has to be paired with the Television and this is done
automatically it seems, certainly my Television found the remote within
seconds, so far so good.
Next the Television will want to connect to the Internet. I didn’t have a spare
LAN connection available otherwise I would have connected the Television
directly to my Home Network in this way so I had to use the Wi-Fi.
At this point the setup will give the user a choice of entering the Network
details manually or transferring them using the Google App from your Android
phone so I chose the latter.
The transfer process is easy enough, follow the prompts on your phone from the
Google App in the section Setting Up A New device and enter the pairing code
into Google App presented on the Television screen, the transfer onf
information starts.
Far more than Wi-Fi information can be transferred, you can transfer
information on your Google Account from your Phone along with Apps which will
make things a lot easier.
After transfer has completed the setup then goes into other details such as
channel scanning if you plan to use the Television with an antenna.
When Setup is complete the Television is placed into a home screen where you
can use the navigation keys to move through the menu, applications etc.
I found the Live TV option however for whatever reason I got a “Please Scan For
Channels” error even though I had performed the channel scan in the Setup, I
was not able to find an option to rescan at this point so I will have to wait
until Miss Eyeballs visits again and we have more time for another look at the
menu system.
The Television was however taking information from the network connected via
Wi-Fi so it made sense to see if I could communicate with the Television and
cast to the TV using Google Cast, which turned out to be easy as peasy.
I have Plex recording Free-To-Air Television on one of my computers here which
I use as a media machine.
Plex allows the user to select a specific player for the playback of these
recorded shows and the Kogan Television was amongst the players available to
select from.
The sound of the Televisions internal speakers is surprisingly good, quite a
bit of bass though obviously lacking in true bottom, very nice midrange
complimented by a lovely crisp top so dialogue will be easy to hear through the
internal speakers at least.
I suggest you connect this Television to a Soundbar at the very least for audio
output or a Surround-Sound receiver as I will be doing in my case.
Unfortunately the Digital audio output of the Television doesn’t seem to work
for whatever reason.
The explanation as to why the digital audio output doesn’t function could
possibly be found in a menu somewhere, one may have to enable the output so I’m
hoping I will find out more soon.