Nuheara IQbuds2MAX earbuds tailor-made for your hearing
Nuheara’s IQbuds2MAX personalised hearing buds.
ByCHRIS GRIFFITH,
TECHNOLOGY REPORTER
9:07PM JANUARY 20, 2020
Perth-based Nuheara has upped the ante in personalised hearing products, a
range in which Australia excels. The market is flooded with headphones and
earbuds, but not many offerings give you a hearing test and adjust the audio to
deliver the optimal sound at different frequencies.
The sound is boosted at frequencies where your hearing is weakest and softened
where hearing is strongest. Nuheara (Perth), Audeara (Brisbane) and Nura do
this in various ways.
Over the past week I have been trialling Nuheara’s new IQbuds2MAX earbuds,
which the company announced at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas
a fortnight ago.
The buds come to market in March.
We’ve seen the basics of Nuheara’s earbuds before, but there’s interesting new
technology in this model that adds to the value of this product.
Set-up is similar to the previous version. You take the earbuds out of their
charger case, attach a pair of ear tips that match the size of your ear canal,
and pair the buds with your smartphone using the IQbuds2MAX app available for
iOS and Android.
I found pairing through the app to be fast and uncomplicated.
The app’s in-built hearing test establishes what Nuheara calls your Ear ID. The
test takes about 10 minutes and involves listening to sounds at different
frequencies and volumes for each ear. You press a button on the screen whenever
you hear one.
For me there seemed to be long stretches of silence when the app played sound
to my right ear. That’s because I can’t hear some higher frequencies in that
ear. My left ear is OK. I’m aware of this issue from using mobile phones and
Nuheara picked up the problem correctly.
The app produces a map of your hearing capabilities that is used to adjust the
music volume at various frequencies. When I listen to music with a set of
Nuheara buds, I pick up higher frequency sounds in my right ear that previously
had been soft or missing.
The app also performs a quick test to ensure the earbuds are properly sealed
within your left and right ear canals. The app recommends you use larger ear
tips if you can’t hear the special sound. There are four sizes of tips to
select from. You get a pack of 10.
The app has other noteworthy functions. The top section of the earbuds have a
pressure-sensitive sensor. You use short taps, long taps and double taps to
control music and sound. The app lets you choose which functions are ­assigned
to these taps.
The functions are volume up/down, next/previous track, play/pause, summon Siri
on an iPhone, and remove or restore ambient sound with World off/on. The choice
of what functions you ­assign to these taps is yours.
Much of this was available with the previous version. It’s what is next that is
different.
This year Nuheara introduces a new form of noise cancellation called hybrid
active noise cancellation. We’ll see it used by other headphone and earbud
manufacturers over time, but Nuheara and a few others have it now.
Manufacturers originally used passive noise cancelling, where headphones would
try to physically shut out surrounding sound by fitting tightly around ears. It
was a crude first measure. Then came active noise can­celling, where headphones
and earbuds were fitted with a microphone that listened to surrounding noise.
The device produced “negative” noise to cancel background sound. It created
negative sound with the opposite waveform.
Manufacturers placed this microphone either inside the ear cup (called
feedback) or outside it (feedforward). With feedforward, the microphone detects
ambient sound before it reaches the ear and compensates for it in advance. This
works well for high frequencies but it can’t compensate for stuff-ups in the
“anti-noise” production.
Feedback hears the same sound as the wearer, with the anti-noise included, and
can fix a faulty signal. But it’s not so great with higher frequencies.
Nuheara’s approach is to have microphones both inside and outside the ear cup
to deliver the best of both worlds. The IQbuds2MAX has three microphones
overall instead of two previously.
The app lets you choose between different ambient environments: street, home,
office, restaurant, driving and plane. For example, in office mode I can hear
conversation and the buds attempt to filter out other ambient noise. Plane mode
lowers all ambient noise and works pretty well provided the earbuds are tightly
inside your ears.
You can tweak each of these settings manually. For example, one setting called
SINC turns down noise in loud environments to clarify speech.
In the end you can fine tune the type of sound you want to let in or exclude as
you listen to music and speech.
The IQbuds2MAX has a large 9.2mm dynamic driver that, among other things,
improves bass quality. I was impressed at the depth and clarity of the bass
generated by these small earbuds. In general, music was clear with depth of
tone.
Nuheara says the buds are water and sweat-resistant, although not waterproof. I
wouldn’t swim with them but they’ll survive a shower walking in the street.
Nuheara says charging with the magnetic charging case will give you 20 hours of
Bluetooth streaming. If you use the earbuds without music to improve your
hearing, it pans out to 32 hours.
I was impressed with the sound quality, the ability of the buds to compensate
for poor hearing in my right ear, and the flexibility available when
configuring sound environments (for example planes) and bud control functions.
You also can take calls with the buds inserted.
You can preorder the IQbuds2MAX now ahead of its March release. Price is $499.
CHRIS GRIFFITH