> 1. is it possible to run the suite *without* doing a 'make install'?
>    in my development environment i discovered that i had to do that
>    in order oget rid of some cruft left behind from having done a
>    'make install' in the past.  however, i'd prefer to not have to
>    force the one-buttoners to have to install the modules system-wide.

t/TEST -conf ought to do it I think.

> 3. after the suite has been run, i notice that there isn't (any longer)
>    a grand total line (x tests run, y failures).  is that info accessible
>    somehow?

hmm, I get the following with 5.8.3

t/protocol/nntp-like.......ok
t/ssl/all..................skipped
        all skipped: cannot find module 'mod_ssl', cannot find module
'LWP::Protocol::https'
All tests successful, 7 tests and 14 subtests skipped.
Files=42, Tests=2355, 68 wallclock secs (48.61 cusr +  3.88 csys = 52.49 CPU)

are you using an older version of perl perhaps?

HTH

--Geoff