 Mathis> Hi everyone,

 Mathis> My question is based on the following assumption:
 Mathis> -------------------------------------------------
 Mathis> Somewhere along the process of compiling a LaTeX (TeTeX) document, all
 Mathis> macros, defined using \newcommand or \renewcommand are syntactically
 Mathis> expanded into the document source, similar to the way a C preprocessor
 Mathis> works.

 Mathis> (If this assumption turns out to be wrong, my question will not make
 Mathis> sense.)

The assumption is wrong since Macro expansion happen on the fly,
governed and modified depending on context and current settings of
internal macros and other stuff.  The question does not belong on the
teTeX list anyhow.  You should have received the charter of the list
when you subscribed: it is for discussing specifics of the teTeX
implementation, not for general TeX matters for which the Usenet group
comp.text.tex, or in your case perhaps also de.comp.text.tex is much
more appropriate.

 Mathis> My question: ------------ Is there a way of outputting the
 Mathis> result of this preprocessing stage to a file? Maybe in the
 Mathis> form of command line option to the latex command?

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]