>|> The commands \cna, \cfl, \csh, etc. in musixtex produce parenthesized
 >|> *small* accidentals. [...]
 >|>
 >|> [EMAIL PROTECTED] \smallna}
 >|>
 >|> Where do the parentheses come from?
 >|
 >|It seems that this question has not yet been answered; so, just for
 >|the fun to see how MusiXTeX works ... :-)
 >|
 >|The following macros are involved in a \cna call, in the order given:
 >|
 >|[EMAIL PROTECTED] \smallna}
 >|[EMAIL PROTECTED]  [EMAIL PROTECTED]@Na  [EMAIL PROTECTED]@ur [EMAIL
 >PROTECTED]
 >|[EMAIL PROTECTED]@[EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]@ [EMAIL PROTECTED]@xl }
 >|[EMAIL PROTECTED]@[EMAIL PROTECTED]@sa\kern\accshift}}
 >|[EMAIL PROTECTED]@vii=\maxdimen [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL
 >PROTECTED]
 >|  \else [EMAIL PROTECTED] \fi [EMAIL PROTECTED]@}
 >|[EMAIL PROTECTED]@iv}
 >|
 >|That is: \cna sets [EMAIL PROTECTED] to \maxdimen. This is used just as a
 >switch
 >|that is later queried by [EMAIL PROTECTED]; if the switch is set, [EMAIL
 >PROTECTED] is called
 >|which in turn typesets character number [EMAIL PROTECTED] from the music
 >symbol
 >|font. [EMAIL PROTECTED] has been set to 5 by macro [EMAIL PROTECTED] before,
 >and the music
 >|character with that number happens to be just the pair of parentheses.

Thanks. And now I see why it's so hard to produce "normalsized"
cautionary accidentals: the parentheses used come in pairs in the
musix fonts and are either too close together or too far apart for
a normalsized accidental. I suppose the "separate" left and right
parentheses in character positions 3 and 4 could be used but that would
involve significant re-coding.

Bob T.