Le mardi 13 décembre 2005 à 15:18 -0800, Don Simons a écrit :
> To further confuse myself, I searched my MiKTeX texmf directory for
> ptmr7t,
> finding
> only ptmr7t.tfm and ptmr7t.vf. In contrast, a search for cmr10.*
> yielded
> cmr10.afm, cmr10.tfm, cmr10.pfb, and cmr10.mf.

Some explanations for the different suffixes:

afm: Adobe Font Metric indicates the dimensions of each character

tfm: TeX Font Metric indicates the dimensions of each character that TeX
processes.

vf: Virtual Font: a virtual font can change the encoding of a font or
mix symbols taken in different fonts into a single font.

pfb: PostScript Font Binary contains the PostScript instructions for
drawing each character

mf: MetaFont format contains meta-instructions that describe the font
and each character

A PostScript font consists essentially of two files: *.pfb and *.afm. To
use it with (La)TeX, you need to convert the afm to tfm and to reencode
it (*.vf and *.tfm files associated). The meaning of ptmr7t is

p: Adobe (manufacturer of the font)
tm: Times (abreviation of the font's name)
r: Roman
7t: encoding (here TeX OT1)

Fontinst is a very useful TeX macros for converting *.afm to *.tfm or
for producing virtual fonts.

Olivier