Bob Tennent wondered
>Why are the accidentals on the 2nd and 4th notes of the following
>"cautionary"?
>
>\input musixtex
>\smallaccid
>\instrumentnumber1
>\startpiece\addspace\afterruleskip%
>\Notes\ibu2i0\cna i\qb2i\fl i\qb2{ii}\tbu2\fl h\qb2h\en
>\endpiece
>\end

To remind you to use \startmuflex...\endmuflex ? :-)

Seriously, without any context it is impossible to answer or speculate. For
example, if there had been a flat in the key signature, and if the last note
in the previous bar had been a b-natural, and if it were a baroque piece,
then according to most interpretations of baroque conventions, the first two
b's in the example should both be naturals, but not so according to modern
convention. Or, if there were no b-flat in the key signature, and if the 99
bars leading up to this one had been in a tonality that did have a b-flat,
then a cautionary natural might be warranted. It's hard to think of any
circumstances where the a-flat should be cautionary, whether or not there's
an a-flat in the key signature.

There's also some confusion between the notation of cautionary and editorial
accidentals. (A cautionary one has no real effect relative to the convention
in place; an editorial accidental proposes a deviation from the convention
in effect, to correct an obvious or perceived error in the source). Since
they have completely different meanings, there should be consistently
different notations for them. In my published editions I ALWAYS put
cautionary accidentals in the staff, with parentheses, and editorial ones
above it, without parentheses, and usually explain that in a preface. But
Gardner Read says "On occasion the accidental-as-reminder [cautionary
accidental] is placed not before but over the note in question, with or
without parentheses."

--Don Simons