>|>Why are the accidentals on the 2nd and 4th notes of the following
 >|>"cautionary"?
 >|>
 >|>\input musixtex
 >|>\smallaccid
 >|>\instrumentnumber1
 >|>\startpiece\addspace\afterruleskip%
 >|>\Notes\ibu2i0\cna i\qb2i\fl i\qb2{ii}\tbu2\fl h\qb2h\en
 >|>\endpiece
 >|>\end
 >|
 >|Seriously, without any context it is impossible to answer or
 >|speculate. For
 >|example, if there had been a flat in the key signature, and if the
 >|last note
 >|in the previous bar had been a b-natural, and if it were a baroque piece,
 >|then according to most interpretations of baroque conventions, the
 >|first two
 >|b's in the example should both be naturals, but not so according to modern
 >|convention. Or, if there were no b-flat in the key signature, and if
 >|the 99
 >|bars leading up to this one had been in a tonality that did have a b-flat,
 >|then a cautionary natural might be warranted. It's hard to think of any
 >|circumstances where the a-flat should be cautionary, whether or not
 >|there's
 >|an a-flat in the key signature.
 >|
 >|There's also some confusion between the notation of cautionary and
 >|editorial
 >|accidentals. (A cautionary one has no real effect relative to the
 >|convention
 >|in place; an editorial accidental proposes a deviation from the convention
 >|in effect, to correct an obvious or perceived error in the source). Since
 >|they have completely different meanings, there should be consistently
 >|different notations for them. In my published editions I ALWAYS put
 >|cautionary accidentals in the staff, with parentheses, and editorial ones
 >|above it, without parentheses, and usually explain that in a preface. But
 >|Gardner Read says "On occasion the accidental-as-reminder [cautionary
 >|accidental] is placed not before but over the note in question, with or
 >|without parentheses."

Don: I think you've mis-understood my question. There's no reason
for those parentheses to be inserted according to the coding. And if
\smallaccid is removed, they are *not* inserted. This is a musixtex
*bug* and I was asking those who know the TeX coding better than I
do where the bug is (with the implicit suggestion that it should be
fixed).

The context of the music is as follows: it's a Purcell sonata in C but
he's taking us through a series of modulations on his way back to C. The
first note is definitely chromatic *in context* and that's why I thought
a cautionary accidental would be appropriate (though perhaps not really
necessary because of the following flat); but the two other accidentals
should *not* be cautionary and were not coded as such.

Bob T.