Cornelius C. Noack wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Jul 2011, Andre Van Ryckeghem wrote:

<snip>

> I believe there IS a better answer to (3), and unless I misunderstood
> something, it is the official recommendation of
> MiKTeX:
>     (1) create a subfolder 'localmiktex' in which to put all
>         your personal files -- in our case that means all
>         MusiXTeX stuff -- in the subfolder localmiktex of your
>         MiKTeX installation (where ever you have installed
>         MiKTeX; for me it happens to be the installation
>         default 'C:\programs\MiKTeX_2.7')

The only thing which should write to C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86)
is a setup program (MiKTeX Package Manager falls into this category) - human
beings (and normal programs) should not write *anything* there. That's why the
default permission for normal users is read-only for C:\Program Files and why
even programs can't write to it unless they're running elevated (of course,
you're running as Administrator on Windows XP then these facts are masked). The
correct place for shared data between all users is, for Windows Vista / Windows
7, C:\ProgramData or C:\Users\Public (it's a matter of taste whether you want
to put a publically available third party tree in the hidden C:\ProgramData or
C:\Users\Public\Documents) or for Windows XP, it's C:\Documents and
Settings\All Users\Application Data or C:\Documents and Settings\All
Users\Documents.

It doesn't help that old versions of MiKTeX (along with huge swathes of other
software) ignored that piece of Microsoft usage advice! It has technically been
the official position since Windows NT 4...

<snip>

>         NB: depending on the MiKTeX version, I have not always
>             managed to put localmiktex in the order I wanted
>             (does anybody know how to achieve that in MiKTeX
>             2.9 ??

I expect this is to do with confusion between the "Admin" and "User" variants
of MiKTeX Settings introduced in MiKTeX 2.8 (to deal with elevated privileges
in Windows Vista/7). The exact interaction of the roots is complicated between
Admin and User roots - ask on the MiKTeX list if between the two Settings you
can't get the order that you're after!

David