>|> I'm not aware of any file pmxab.dat
 >|
 >| Well, Don Simons is, and in his answer on that mailing list he advised me
 >| (mistakenly it seems) to download that file

Hmm. Indeed, there is such a file under MacBinaries and it seems I'm
responsible for it. I'm not sure how it acquired the inappropriate .dat
extension. But on a recent TeXLive system, you should have an executable
pmxab already installed. And a pmx2pdf script that will be easier to
use.

 >| >How can we help you with your TeX
 >| > editor if you don't tell us which TeX editor you're using?
 >|
 >| I???m using TexShop (version 3.11) on Mac OS 10.8.
 >|
 >| >If you know how to tell it how to process .tex files, tell it to
 >| use pmx2pdf.
 >|
 >| Is it mandatory to use the command line, or can I change something in
 >| the preferences for example
 >| to include PMX in the drop-down menu containing Plain TeX,XeLaTeX etc.

You'll have to consult the documentation for TeXShop or wait for a
TeXShop user to assist you. But I suggest you just this once use the
command line to verify that everything works before you configure
TeXShop.

Bob T.